Monday, August 28, 2017

DRAGON CON

This week’s portrait, Misty Noble!

This weekend is Dragon Con! The BEST COMIC / COSPLAY CONVENTION ever!

Four official days of nonstop partying, but anyone who’s a regular knows the actual convention begins on Thursday, and if by Sunday you haven’t partially lost your voice or have a hangover that you’re fighting through and made several new friends, then you’ve missed out on what this convention is all about.

I found out about Dragon Con a few years ago through some people who later became friends. That first year of attending redefined conventions for me in so many ways. From the round the clock convention parties to the Saturday morning cosplay parade. My personal favorite memories to date, Jello Wrestling, Stargate parties and Cosplay Life Drawing. Yes, Cosplay Life Drawing! 2 years in a row the amazing people running Dragon Con allowed me to do the Cosplay Life Drawing event and each time it was fantastic, with attendance well over 100 people!

I tell people if they are a true fan of comics, sci-fi, cosplay and everything that’s part of that universe, then this is the only convention you should attend especially if you’re on a budget and had to pick one.

In the 30 years since this convention has been going on they seem have managed to keep the spirit of this convention intact by not allowing the entertainment world to get a foothold in it with television or movie studios, so what you’re left with is a safe haven for people who aren’t there just to sell and promote crap but actually enjoy being there and want to have fun.

And as I mentioned earlier, you actually will make new friends that for the most part you will see every year like a family barbecue reunion.

That was my experience in my first year of attending back in 2007, I met a bunch of amazing people, the majority of which were Stargate fans (greatest TV show ever!), who I’ve looked forward to seeing every year since around this time and among them is Misty Noble.

Misty and her sister, Sandy won me over in that first year and we’ve been friends ever since.

I choose Misty for this portrait because she is the first person that usually comes to my mind when I think about Dragon Con. Each year I’ve attended DC, the majority of my time is spent with her and her family. She’s such a wonderful person.

Misty is a Stargate fan as well so I thought I’d incorporate that into this portrait. The blue hair was meant to represent the blue puddle or wormhole effect that occurs when the gate is dialed. I felt leaving out the outline on the head allowed the hair and head to blend into the gate.

This year unfortunately I won’t be able to attend Dragon Con. This is the second year in a row that I will be missing out on seeing Misty and all the great people I’ve been keeping in touch with through social media.

Hopefully if life doesn’t throw me any more curves, I’ll see you Misty, family and friends next year.  I miss our Mexican dinners at that place downstairs and waiting for a table at the diner. Hope you guys have fun and post lots of pictures!

I feel like some Stargate binge watching is in order now!

No comments:

Post a Comment