Saturday, July 15, 2017

GO SPEED RACER

This week’s portrait, Peter Fernandez.
I can’t believe it’s been 7 years since he past away. He isn’t the first person I’ve known and care about to have died. My dad was a person who had a huge influence in my life. My close high school friend, Gregory Baker. My next door neigbor Ms Cleary. Mr Ferguson, Ms Klyde, Mr Nagel, 3 teachers from high school, who without their guidance, I wouldn’t be the artist I am today. Grade school teacher, Sister Raphel, who allowed me to work on art projects with her class of 8 graders when I was in the 6 grade.

I was late with posting this week because of something that happened on Monday. Through conversation with someone it was bought to my attention that they had no idea who Earth, Wind and Fire were, never heard the name before. The timing of course being Monday made me introspect even more on the subject of this piece, the meaning of who we are, and how quickly what we think of as important is forgot very quickly as time moves forward. And time did move forward and here I am posting at the end of the week.

Am sure a lot of you have never heard of Peter before, I didn't know of him until I met him back in 2008 at the New York Amine Award Show where he was given the American Anime Award for Outstanding Achievement. I was also shooting a video at the convention which he was kind enough to be a part of. It’s on YouTube, called “Pierre Bernard at the NY Anime Festival”. Very funny, if I say so myself, I wrote it all. (who says am not a writer!)

Here’s the link
https://youtu.be/WUpGLIoI9NI

If the above link doesn't work, just go to YouTube and type in: “Pierre Bernard at the NY Anime Festival”.

On this portrait, I used the colors that were prominent in the anime serie. The checkered background to represent racing flags. I felt the grey showed a more matured, respectful person.
Overall, calming no saturated colors to reflect the kind person he was.

I guess in the end like Earth, Wind and Fire, and many other people and things I am aware of, they will be forgotten in time by the world around us and be replaced by that moment’s topic.

This all brings to mind another instance where 3 years ago I was talking to an intern who didn’t know who Conan was, name or person. I kid you not, imagine working somewhere and not caring enough to knowing who your boss was.

By the way, Go check out Speed Racer, the anime series from the 60s. Also, in case you are wondering, Earth, Wind and Fire is a music group.

No comments:

Post a Comment