Monday, April 17, 2017

I WISH U HEAVEN

This week’s portrait, Prince!
I love Prince’s music. Purple Rain and 1999 are among my favorite albums. It’s hard to just listen to an individual track and not the entire album at once. It’s like everything flows into each other, kind of like David Bowie’s “Ziggy Stardust” or Pink Floyd’s “The Wall”. I knew when I started this portrait that purple and violet were going to be major colors in it. Then I got the idea of incorporating the flower design from the Purple Rain album into the art. And as expected, the scan doesn’t do justice to the colors in the final original art.

Friday will mark the first year of Prince’s death. Lately death has been on my mind more than usual. It sort of been hanging around my family for a few weeks now, not making any aggressive moves, simple making its presence known like some uninvited guest. It is the reason I wasn’t able to post a portrait last week. The last time it visited was a long while back, it decided to take my dad when it left.

I am sure by the weekend there will be a ton of tributes to Prince. His fan base is still weeping his passing, and the news will make it a feeding frenzy with all sort of give-a-aways, tribute concerts and other moronic events all tied to cashing in on his death. People will of course jump on board and make it profitable for these companies to do so. But hopefully there will be a few who will take this as a moment to reflect on life in general, truly appreciate the artist that Prince was, and when they hear themselves saying his death was sudden or too soon, they will turn and remember to honor the people they care about who are still among the living.

Go call or visit someone you care about.
Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment