Monday, December 4, 2017

TODAY'S SECRET WORD IS, "QUICKSAND!"

This week’s portrait is Pee Wee Herman!

I recently rewatched the Pee Wee’s Playhouse Christmas Special. This show is ageless, I think it’s still as funny today as it was during the release in 1988. My dad was still with the family then, and often he’d sit and watch Pee Wee’s Playhouse with my brother and me. We weren’t young kids, but that didn’t matter when it came to Pee Wee. The humor transcended age. I would record the show on VHS tapes and try to leave out the commercials- which always ended up with recording too soon and getting the tail end of some product endorsement or recording too late and missing those great seconds back from commercials. Now for $26.49, I can have the entire series minus commercials. All those VHS tapes and editing time spent with the tv remote, wasted!

I loved the show's 1950s retro look. It was very much a part of the show’s appeal including the characters themselves, and in doing this portrait of Pee Wee, I wanted to capture that feeling. The pouting mouth was a bit of a challenge; I didn’t think it would be at first. But I am happy with the end result. All those crazy little circles.

Someday, a time may come when some scientists will look at my art and realize the secret to the meaning of the universe is in the designs. Yes, the universe has been secretly whispering the meaning of everything to me, and unknowingly, I’ve been translating it into a language using circles.

Or maybe it’s some sort of self discovery. By drawing all these circles, I am being drawn or pulled towards some new level of awareness. Or maybe, it’s all meaningless, just some artistic visual fetish that seems to have caught my attention and won’t let me go, kind of like "quicksand!"

That topic is not about to go away anytime soon!

(You know what I'm talking about :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment