Monday, December 11, 2017

TIME TRAVEL

This week’s portrait, Mrs. Maisel (Rachel Brosnahan)!

While working on the Pee Wee portrait, I was looking at all things from the 1950s so I thought I’d check out that Amazon show that keeps coming up, “The Marvelous Mrs Maisel." I almost turned it off, but within 10 minutes one of my favorite comedians made an appearance, Gilbert Gottfried. Seeing him for 5 minutes made me keep my finger off the remote, hoping to see more of him. As a result, I gave the the show a chance and 20 minutes in, I was hooked. There wasn’t more Gilbert, but the show itself is really good. I found myself binge watching the entire season.

I related to the character whose life suddenly changes and is trying to figure out how to go forward, and in doing so, takes a chance on a skill that she had but never explored before.

(I am trying not to give away the plot, but trust me, it’s worth watching and discovering for yourself.)

The visuals for this show are amazing, and the main character looks like the stereotypical1950’s housewife with a personality that belongs in the 2010s. For this art piece, I limited the colors to reds and pinks so that the blue eyes would pull you in. And I also used graphic elements from the show’s credits to tie it together.

The last few weeks I’ve become so focused on my art that there have been evenings I forgot to have dinner. I know, not healthy, but I am so excited about putting my time into something I really enjoy that time passes too quickly.

Almost forgot to mention, Vicki Chase was incredible as an art model this past weekend. As Naughty Santa, she looked liked a Alberto Vargas or Gil Elvgren 1950s pinup model. I did some really interesting drawings.

It’s interesting how everything this past week tied into the 1950s. Pee Wee took me back in time and now I have to get back to the future!

I wonder if this was how Doc Brown felt as he was building his time machine. You know you’re onto something amazing.  
 
You just have to stay inside, lock the door, create, and when you’re ready, show people some serious shit!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment