Friday, July 10, 2009

Thursday, July 25, 2009




Another week well done. Yesterday I had a small bit on the show. Me in a dress, being compared to Nicky Hilton and Katy Perry who all wore the same dress at one time. It was fun. But I worry at the number of guys who loved my legs. Where are all the girls?!

The evening was even better. I met up with artist Howard Shum, and went to another gathering of the Drink and Draw group. Back in New York I was in a rut creatively. True I had Late Night but outside of the job I wasn't really doing much. I did do a lot of portraits of friends and interns from work, but most of that was done to pass the time while commuting for 2 hours each way, everyday. Also, the art I did for Dragon Con the pass two years were the most creative artwork I did outside of work.

I felt coming to LA would show me the light. And it has so far. Two weeks ago. I went to my first Drink and Draw. Absolutely incredible! A bar filled with illustrators and animators, men, women, professionals, and people who've never held a pen or pencil other than to sign their names. All gathered, drawing, talking, sharing ideas and of course drinking.

This is what I was missing in New York, big time. The only thing that came close to this was going to conventions and walking through the artist alleys.

Watching these folks exchanging thoughts in the room... It was like giving a major jump start to a dead battery. I came home and cleared out the extra room, "my studio", which had started to become storage for boxes that weren't unpacked yet. I've actually started working on a new dot image, one I tried to start 3 years ago but never got pass the pencil stage.

I've only been here about 3 months and I am feeling this kind of energy, I am wondering what it will be like after a year. I am excited!

2 comments:

  1. That's so cool! I think I'd enjoy Drink and Draw. I told you before I can't draw that well. Stick figures, mainly. Unlike my sister who picked up a pencil and paper out of the blue and can draw sea turtles and sharks like she's done it her whole life. I'm not jealous, much. ;D

    And for what it's worth, you've got great legs! Wish mine looked like that in a dress. :D OK? LOL! That's so funny!

    Glad that LA is bringing out the artist in you!

    This is just the beginning! You should be excited.

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I thought your legs were gorgeous too!

    Glad you finally found some inspiration. Look forward to checking out some of your new art!

    Keep loving life!

    Jill

    ReplyDelete